Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Life in a broken world

After celebrating Jesus’ resurrection, we celebrate life. There is life not just in my little world, but all over this broken world. Today I’m sharing a story from Sid’s journey to Haiti.




My original intent for going to Haiti was to see the fruits of my efforts from the Pack-A-Thons our church had sponsored. As with many of you, I've given to charities and other worthwhile causes in good faith without actually seeing and witnessing where the money goes and what impact it really has on God's kingdom. By giving, you are just trusting that the organization and the people to whom you are giving actually provide the service or assistance that they promise, not knowing if it ever actually occurs. This was my chance to actually see it.
When we arrived in Haiti and made our way to our accommodations, I was a little shocked at the state of affairs that appeared too commonplace around us on our drive. Trash in every conceivable ditch, livestock running wild around the streets, and open-air food markets were the first things to grab my attention and make me realize that I had left "Disneyland" – the good ole U.S. of A. Our first order of business once we arrived was to put together suitcases of donated items that several of our party had brought. Upon opening my first bag, I saw a card that my 10 year old had written and drawn for me. It said "Dear Dad, Hope u have the greatest trip ever. I am praying for you. Make sure that u know that your not only changing their hearts but yours also." Little did I know, that is definitely what God had in mind for me.


During the trip to Haiti, we were able to participate in the distribution of the boxes of food our church had packed, as well as pass out the food that had been prepared for the children. I was able to witness gratitude, sharing, and a love of life by the children we saw. Some of the children didn't have parents and some did. Most of them will only eat that one meal we passed out that day. Regardless of my expectations, we were greeted with smiles and laughter. Those children are like any others. They want to be loved. They want to play, and they need to eat.

In the Bible, the Lord calls us to care for the widows and the orphans. This is definitely a ministry that is making an impact in the lives of children and families alike. I went on this trip with certain expectations of an outcome only to realize that my daughter's card hit the nail right on the head. If you do feel God's call to provide for this ministry or go on one of their mission trips, you too may experience the reversal of expectations and changing heart that I did.

If you would like to find out more about NDI | Feed the Hunger, visit us online




No comments:

Post a Comment