Turkey Day is now a leftover and November is pretty much gone.
It’s Christmas season. But before I jump into the chaos of it all, I’m looking back to see if there’s anything I learned this past fall.
Back in the summer, I joined in with Emily Freeman’s invitation to share at the end of each month things you’ve learned that month. So, why not give it a try? I’ve not done this every month…and obviously I haven’t because I’m combining October and November this time!
So here’s 10 things I’ve learned recently.
1) How to use an iPhone. Yep. I got an iPhone for the first time for my birthday last month. (Thanks hubby!) I really like it. I’ve also been great entertainment to my friends and family (who’ve all had an iPhone or iPod years before I got an “i" something) as I learn how to use this thing. When I talk slowly and clearly to Siri it makes my husband laugh at me. I guess learning all the things I can do with it will just take time. But I’m glad I can amuse others while I do.
2) I found a new recipe…of course on Pintrest. Delish! Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice. Check it out and you might like it too! Thanks Pinterest!
3) Here’s a fact I never knew until I was watching a Saturday morning show Animal Atlas with my daughter: Every gorilla has a different nose print like humans have different finger prints. Did you know that?
4) The pastor at our church posted a story on Facebook on JFK’s 50th anniversary of the day he lost his life. He said that many people don’t know this but another conic figure died the same day as JFK: C.S. Lewis. Lewis was, and continues to be, well known for writings like the Narnia collection, Mere Christianity and other bestselling books. His words pierce the soul, make you think, convict the heart, and make you smile and cry. They take you away into another world while at the same time teach you and make you want to live those morals and truth in which he wrote. I wish I had more time to read more of his books…
5) When you pray audacious prayers, God will answer them. Where do I even start with this one? That will become another post, another day. Here’s a peek: it has something with a dream and reality.
6) This month we experienced for the first time the unique joy of welcoming a beautiful 2 year old orphan, and now daughter, from Haiti to our dear friends’ family and home. Having waited for almost two years, this precious girl finally came home! To see her being held tight by her new mom, riding down the escalator at the airport at 11:30 at night was a gift. It was a blessing to have been part of our friends’ long journey.
What makes me even more excited now is that we get to experience it for our family in the not too far away future as my dear sister and her family will adopt a child from China to be part of our family! Can I say excited?! Joyful?! I can hardly wait to experience that welcome and hold our new niece or nephew for the first time!
7) My cool, young friend who keeps me feeling young, told me about Evernote. I love it. It’s just the neatest place to keep and organize my blog posts, grocery list, documents, and all other sorts of things. I can share them with others, too…especially with my young friend as we’re working on a project together.
8) It really is worth just asking the question even though it’s not easy. It can actually become a true gift. All you have to do is invite with your doors wide open and more often than not, they’ll walk in. And that’s just the beginning of the joy still yet to come.
9) And last but now least and the most fun thing I learned this month was the Fox song… “What Does the Fox Say?” Maybe it’s been around for months and I’m a little slow. I heard it for the first time last weekend at my sister’s house. That song is quite unique but that’s why it’s become such a big hit. (And being a big Dancing with the Stars fan, what a fun dance Derick and Amber – this season’s winners – performed to that song.
10) “Selfie” is the official “2013 Word of the Year” from the Oxford Dictionary. I’m going to have to chew on that one for a little bit… (And not only did I learn that selfie is the word, but I never knew that Oxford chose a “word of the year” each year!)
Thanks for stopping by! Maybe you learned something new too. So now it’s officially Christmas season. May this upcoming month be one where you make time for rest, reading Christmas stories with your family, laughter with friends, a heart to give to others in need and joy this season.