Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Nine things I learned in July

 

It’s the last day of July.  This month flew by.

I’m joining into with Emily Freeman and her invitation of sharing 10 things you learned each month.  Well, in the midst of rest, while the kids were at grandparents, I turned off my search mode and only thought of 9 things I learned this month.  Ok…here’s what I learned.

1)  Black snakes keep copperheads away in your backyard.  I was telling someone we have a black snake living somewhere in our back yard.  We’ve seen it a few times this summer and even though it can feel a little scary to have a snake nearby, black ones are good neighbors.  They eat other rodents we don’t want around and claim their territory so other snakes like copperheads won’t come near.  That was good to learn.

2)  I discovered the writing of Oswald Chamber…or maybe it found me.  It was an old book, My Upmost for His Highest, that I bought for 50 cents at a neighborhood yard sale.  So I did a little research to find out about this man I’ve heard great things of but knew nothing about.  When he lived in the late 1800s and early 1900s, he was a student of the Word and a faithful follower of Christ in his walk and work.  He also went to a college to study God’s redemption through art.  (I was an art major)  He did have an art for writing and wrote 30 books, My Utmost for His Highest being his most read and has never been out of print.  Just a few tid-bits of information I had never known before.

IMG_8032

3)  Every day this month when I’ve read a daily devotion from My Utmost for His Highest (Updated Edition), it has pertained directly to me.  There’s a sentence or paragraph…or the entire reading where God spoke clearly to me.  One of the sentences I read:

July 12:  Am I building up the body of Christ, or am I only concerned about my own personal development?   

What a prayer I need to be asking God daily.

4)  I learned how to fly a June bug.  It can be a simple and free summer activity for all ages!  All you need is string and no fear of holding a green bug.

IMG_7803

 

5)  There’s a cool new place to check out in Burlington, NC  Cork and Cow!  

6)   It’s not impossible to catch and hold a wild hummingbird.  See my post about that.

7)   I was told when our 13 year old son was not ashamed of raising his hands worshipping the Lord among peers at camp.  I also heard how his leadership is starting to bloom.   It makes this mom humbly give thanks to the Lord because it is all Him.  Not this mom who’s made many errors and didn’t take some opportunities laid in my lap to share the Story.

8)   Our daughter is starting to enjoy photography.  (I’d be so excited if this is something she wants to continue to pursue!  {Here’s some below!}

IMG_7895

IMG_7883

IMG_7880

 

9)  I can still dance…or at least enjoy it!   at a friend’s wedding.  Even though I might have felt it a little the day after a friend’s wedding, it was fun!

 

Thanks for stopping by to see what I’ve learned.  I’d (and others I’m sure) would love to read something you’ve learned this past month.  Please make a comment below!

4 comments:

  1. here via Emily's roundup. what a fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4) WOW! i want to try it! 7) Thank You, Lord. Pleased to make your acquaintance via Emily's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinated that Chamber's "studied God's redemption through art"... I'm researching that further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love My Utmost for His Highest! Lately, I've been using Jesus Calling by Sarah Young and feel like the Lord speaks every time I open it!

    Your daughter's photography is lovely!

    Deb Weaver
    thewordweaver.com

    ReplyDelete