Friday, January 24, 2014

An Overdue Get Away

{Joining in with Five Minute Friday today and the word is VISIT}

I don’t do this very often…or have I ever here in this space of mine? 

But I just feel like it this time.  Maybe it’s because I’m wishing we were back there in that quaint, get-away space.

There’s many “reviews” floating around out there.  Book reviews. Toy reviews. Product reviews. Travel reviews.

Well, I feel like reviewing…or remembering a Bed and Breakfast trip.

This past week, my husband and I were able to get away for a couple of days just the two of us. (Thanks mom and dad!) 

It had been way too long since we’ve done that

It was much needed and much enjoyed.

My husband is usually the one who plans our vacations and makes all the arrangements…it’s something he enjoys doing.  But this was a special birthday and I wanted to plan something special for him.  Thanks to Pintrest, I found a place that looked just. right. 

So, I took a risk and made reservations, hoping he’ll like it.  Hey!  I’m getting better with this risk-taking thing!

We’re so glad I did.

Rich with character and history, we drove into New Bern, NC on a sunny, brisk January afternoon, in search for a house that was built in 1882.

The Aeire Bed and Breakfast

IMG_9917

What a lovely place to visit.  This house was filled with over 130 years of stories

Our “Hidden Room” really did make us feel we could hide away from the world just the two of us.

We were given a personal tour of the town in an old Model A Ford, we ate mouth-watering, gourmet breakfasts (delish!), fresh seafood and unique sandwiches from a local deli.  We went to the movies!  Don’t know the last time just the two of us has done that (Saving Mr. Banks). We learned history about Fort Macon, took a walk on the beach (Barefoot in January even though I nearly froze.  Hey - when I’m on the beach, I’m barefoot!)  We met some other people also staying at the inn and got to tell them our nightmare honeymoon story that we can laugh at now.

 

20140119_215712181_iOS

photos and quotes - Page 046

photos and quotes - Page 047

20140121_163243186_iOS

IMG_9905

photos and quotes - Page 054

photos and quotes - Page 053

20140120_203733389_iOS

IMG_9899

The activities gave enjoyment, the atmosphere brought relaxation. But the part of the get away that was the best were the conversations we had.  Conversations where we weren’t interrupted by every typical day demands or you’re just too wiped out after the kids crawl in bed to have a good conversation.

We talked about each others words and dreams.  Our love expanded.  Strength grew. Bonding tightened.

photos and quotes - Page 049

simply remind me 2 - Page 010

photos and quotes - Page 050

simply remind me 2 - Page 008

photos and quotes - Page 048

photos and quotes - Page 051

20140119_195002127_iOS

 

I highly recommend visiting New Bern, NC and staying at the Aeire Bed and Breakfast.  The owners cater to your needs, make you feel welcome…and even spoiled!  There’s so much to do yet not too much so it’ll make you relax.

What an uncommon and blessed treat for us.

Am thankful.

So thankful.

 

 

5-minute-friday-1

Today is Five Minute Friday where writers can join in and write for five minutes including the word that Lisa Jo Baker gives.  Today’s words is VISIT.  (I know mine went a little over 5 minutes but words and memories weren’t quite ready to stop…and how perfect for today’s word to be visit when we just got back from visiting a new to us town.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what fun! Don't you just love when God blesses with these special times? It all looks so lovely. I especially love the pics of the bed. Gorgeous! I know exactly what you mean about this "visit" prompt. I did something I rarely do (in fact, never) by recollecting the vacation we just came back from too. It WAS an irresistible prompt, wasn't it? Thanks for sharing and for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete